Sunday, July 13, 2008
ten months






I can't believe the babies are 10 months old now. When the babies were born, I tried to imagine life a year down the road, and I couldn't. I couldn't really even imagine life when we brought them home from the hospital. It's amazing that we've made it this far.

Jen asked me if I feel like I've come up for air yet, and I do. I'd say it's really just been in the last month or so that I don't feel like I am just going all day long and that I have a little time to relax (not just at bedtime, but during naptime and playtime even). The babies are at a good stage. Britta is crawling, standing, climbing, and just loves to explore and try everything. And, she's happy with that. We have the house essentially baby-proofed and as long as we keep certain doors closed (bathrooms, laundry room), we can let her explore and just keep an eye on where she's at and what she's doing. Jack is crawling well now, but he's less of an explorer. If he wants something, he will go get it, he'll crawl a little for fun, but he explores less than Britta. He's happy playing with toys and pulling down DVDs. Drake is not yet crawling, but he has discovered that he can get places by rolling. He was the first baby to roll, but he only did it to get off of his tummy. He finally is happy to be on his tummy and he seems happier now that he's a little more mobile.

The babies love to go for walks and they interact with each other and love to play with toys. Every day our living room is a little explosion of toys and DVDs. Right now I don't have a lot of extra work and our sleeping schedule is more flexible without school and the babies just seem to be happy. They need supervision and interaction, but it seems like it's less work. They are sleeping less, but still sleeping well.

It's getting easier to take them out and about. We take them out to eat every weekend. We only go to certain restaurants, but it works. We've been taking them to stores a little more, because it's not that hard and they seem to enjoy getting out.

For church, we still take them just to sacrament (the first hour of church) and then we alternate who takes them home and puts them down for a nap and who stays with the girls. People will often ask me where the babies are and I'll explain that it's naptime and David and I just take turns coming to church. One woman said, "Yeah, otherwise you'd just be walking the halls the whole time." The thing is, with three babies, I don't really know what we'd do. We don't walk our babies and if we tried, it would be a little difficult, being outnumbered and all. If they have a hard time going to sleep, we'll go in and hold them for a while, but in the end it's their job to fall asleep. With our setup now, every other week we both get to fully enjoy church. If we brought the babies to all three hours, we never would. I think just about the time that we'll be able to manage all three babies for all three hours, they'll be ready for nursery.

The first three months or so were so difficult with these guys. I felt like I was doing a million things a day and being pulled in a thousand different directions and the sleep deprivation is just something I hope I never have to experience again. But, at the time, we were just so grateful that the babies were all here and healthy and everyone had made it. Every issue of the Triplet Connection magazine has a page in memory of the babies that don't make it and just thinking about that brings tears to my eyes. This immense wave of relief and gratefulness that we get to take care of these babies helped us to get through that early time (and it still does, but it's not as much on my mind). Then, as the babies slept better, even though the days were exhausting, we were so grateful that we no longer had to sleep in shifts and that we could get more than five hours of sleep at time. That helped us get through the next phase. And, so far, it seems like the older they get the easier it gets. We've managed by hunkering down at home and sticking to the schedule and keeping things as easy as possible. I don't know what the toddler phase will bring, but already I can see their personalities shine through in new ways, and I am excited for it.

The older girls are doing great. Grace just got back from girls' camp and had a fabulous time. Lillie is loving summer. They both have made great progress with swimming because we've actually had the time to go to the pool. Last summer was such an odd summer, with me being on bedrest most of the time.

I use this blog basically as a monthly marker for the triplets, but I haven't quite figured out how to (and how much I want to) write about the older girls. I started this wanting to keep them anonymous and I have never included their photos and talked about them much. (My blog was very different then - it was more about keeping track of both the serious and silly things I thought about.) I find that it's a tougher balance to hit for some reason. I've considered going password protected so I can just include whatever photos I want and talk about whatever I like and not have to keep in mind that this is a public forum and that I'm not sure who reads it. Maybe I should just do that.

When Grace was little she had a small cardbox of toys. Over the years, her toys and Lillie's toys combined have taken over our bonus room (even with going through and giving away things as they outgrow them). They are getting too old for most of what's up there now (Grace is, anyway) and the babies aren't yet old enough for them. And, I realized the other day that we are back to a little basket of baby toys (the one behind Britta in the photos). I like that.
posted by lochan | link
2 comments and fresh takes

Name: Laura

I have five kids including triplets. I'm too busy to blog, but I do anyway (uh, sometimes).

Learn more about me



My Antonia
by Willa Cather

June

Sarah's Quilt
by Nancy Turner

May

Maus
by Art Spiegelman


Housekeeping
by Marilynne Robinson

April

These Is My Words
by Nancy Turner


The Myth of You and Me
by Leah Stewart

March

Inconceivable
by Ben Elton


Songbook
by Nick Hornby


Follies
by Ann Beattie


Hungry Planet

February

About a Boy
by Nick Hornby


High Fidelity
by Nick Hornby


Stargirl
by Jerry Spinelli

January

Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates


Morality for Beautiful Girls
by Alexander McCall Smith


A Long Way Down
by Nick Hornby


How to be Good
by Nick Hornby


Mere Christianity
by C. S. Lewis

December
Click here for a free Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon

Good Faith
The Know-It-All
by A. J. Jacobs

Good Faith
Endurance
by Alfred Lansing

November
Good Faith
The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd

September

Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini


The Good Earth
by Pearl S. Buck

August

Freedom of Simplicity
by Richard Foster


Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen

July

Celebration of Discipline
by Richard J. Foster

Peace Like A River
Peace Like A River
by Leif Enger

Things Fall Apart
Things Fall Apart
by Chinua Achebe

Gap Creek
Gap Creek
by Robert Morgan

June
Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel

My Name is Asher Lev
My Name is Asher Lev
by Chaim Potok

A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Prayer for Owen Meany
by John Irving

All New People
All New People
by Anne Lamott

May
Patrimony
Patrimony: A True Story
by Philip Roth

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters
by J. D. Salinger

Good Faith
Good Faith
by Jane Smiley

Cradle and Crucible
Cradle and Crucible History and Faith in the Middle East
by National Geographic Society

April
Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

Blue Shoe
Blue Shoe
by Anne LaMott

Emma
Emma
by Jane Austen

Operation Shylock
Operation Shylock
by Philip Roth

March
Jane Austen: A Life
Jane Austen: A Life
by Claire Tomalin

To See and See Again
To See and See Again
by Tara Bahrampour

Reading L0l1ta in Tehran
Reading L0l1ta in Tehran
by Azar Nafisi

February
A Thomas Jefferson Education
A Thomas Jefferson Education
by Oliver Van Demille

Still Alive
Still Alive
by Ruth Kluger

The Screwtape Letters
Not The Germans Alone
by Isaac Levendel

Still Alive
World War II: A Photographic History
by David Boyle

The Screwtape Letters
The Screwtape Letters
by C.S. Lewis

Persuasion
Persuasion
by Jane Austen

January
Climbing Parnassus
Climbing Parnassus
by Tracey Lee Simmons

With the Old Breed
With The Old Breed
by E. B. Sledge

All But My Life
All But My Life
by Gerda Weissmann Klein

We Die Alone
We Die Alone
by David Howarth