Thursday, June 26, 2008
this morning
The babies went down at 6:30 last night and no one woke up until 5:30 this morning. I saw the monitor flashing but didn't hear anyone. I got up to check who was awake and it was Drake, but he was just making soft noises, so I went back to bed.

Around 5:50 I could hear Drake starting to cry and Britta was crying a little, too. I got up and got bottles going. I went in and peeked at the babies and then I went back to the kitchen and ate a bowl of cereal while the water was warming up and checked my email while the bottles were warming in the water. I used to go in while the bottles were warming, but it seems to get the babies more riled up and ticked off when I'm in there and the bottles aren't ready.

By the time the bottles were ready, everyone was awake and I got out all the boppies and gave everyone their bottles. They have all been able to hold their own bottles for at least a month or more now and it's so nice. I talked to each baby while they drank. Jack slammed his bottle and then tried to get Britta's bottle away from her (during the day, he will often finish off Britta's bottle, but she wants all of it in the morning). Britta finished her bottle and wanted more and tried to get Drake's away from him.

I've never done this before, but Jack and Britta both seemed hungry still, so I got out a can of ready-to-use formula and gave them each a few more ounces. Drake had an ounce or two left in his bottle, but didn't seem interested in finishing, so I changed his diaper. He was still a little fussy (usually drinking his bottle makes him happy) and we wrestled a bit to get his diaper on.

I set Drake down by Jack and they both started playing with an open bag of diapers that Jack dragged out from under Drake's crib. I went to change Britta's diaper. I thought she had smelled a little stinky when she was eating, and she had some old and new poo in her diaper and her skin looked chapped and irritated. She was pretty upset while I changed her diaper and put on diaper rash cream. (We've been very lucky with all of our kids - none has been prone to diaper rash. This is the first time she's looked bad, but I think it's the first time she's pooped in the night). She isn't one to cry much, but she was crying pretty hard and I held her until she calmed down. I took her with me to take the diaper out to the garage (the diaper was a little too much to just throw in the Diaper Champ).

I put her down and she grabbed Drake's bottle and finished it off while I wrestled with Jack to change his diaper. He's a big squirmy boy and he can be pretty tough to change. We managed. While I was putting his pajama pants back on, he bucked back pretty hard and hit me in the teeth. It hurt me, so I figured it hurt him, but he didn't cry.

I gave Drake the last few ounces from the ready-to-use formula I'd gotten out (to make up for what Britta took) and he finished that. I talked and played with each baby for a little while. Then, I picked up Britta and took the bottles out to the kitchen and saw that it was almost 7:00.

I went back in the room and Drake was starting to cry and fuss. I held him for a little while and then put him in his crib. He'd been up the longest and was tired. I can often put him in his crib when he's fussing and he'll quiet down. But, he didn't quiet down. Jack played quietly on the floor, while I scooped up Britta just as she was opening the door. I held her and sang "Hush Little Baby" while she hummed and sang "ga ga ga" a long with me. It reminded me of how she sang when she was little. She's been singing again lately.

I put Britta in her crib sitting up (she usually likes to crawl around the crib and pull herself up on the bars and stand for a little while before she gives in and lays down). She cried and I tried putting her on her tummy and rubbing her back. It worked. She rubbed her eyes (her sign that she is tired) and calmed down.

I picked up Jack and sang "Hush Little Baby" to him. He was smiling at me and I thought about how different he looks from when he was in the hospital. He is so big and healthy and happy. That little guy in the NICU was fragile and still. I put Jack down in his crib and he started moving his head from side to side (his sign that he is tired).

Drake was still crying, so I picked him back up and sang to him. He burped (which may be why he wasn't calming down) and then sank down onto my chest and just relaxed while I sang to him. When I put him down, he pulled his softie over half of his face (which is what he does when he's tired and in his crib - or else he'll put his thumb in his mouth) and fussed a little, but in a way that I could tell that he would be asleep soon.

I touched each baby in their crib and said I love you and closed the door. I heard a little sound from their room for a few minutes and then everything was quiet. It still amazes me how this scheduling thing works.

Usually I'd go back to bed or go to the gym, but instead I thought I'd write it down while it was in my mind. It's a fairly typical morning. Jack is usually the last one to wake up. Often Britta will get out of the room and roam up and down the hall outside of their bedroom. Drake is usually the first one up and the first one down.

I'm going back to bed. I don't know if I'll sleep, but it will good to close my eyes.
posted by lochan | link
4 comments and fresh takes

Name: Laura

I have five kids including triplets. I'm too busy to blog, but I do anyway (uh, sometimes).

Learn more about me



My Antonia
by Willa Cather

June

Sarah's Quilt
by Nancy Turner

May

Maus
by Art Spiegelman


Housekeeping
by Marilynne Robinson

April

These Is My Words
by Nancy Turner


The Myth of You and Me
by Leah Stewart

March

Inconceivable
by Ben Elton


Songbook
by Nick Hornby


Follies
by Ann Beattie


Hungry Planet

February

About a Boy
by Nick Hornby


High Fidelity
by Nick Hornby


Stargirl
by Jerry Spinelli

January

Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates


Morality for Beautiful Girls
by Alexander McCall Smith


A Long Way Down
by Nick Hornby


How to be Good
by Nick Hornby


Mere Christianity
by C. S. Lewis

December
Click here for a free Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon

Good Faith
The Know-It-All
by A. J. Jacobs

Good Faith
Endurance
by Alfred Lansing

November
Good Faith
The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd

September

Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini


The Good Earth
by Pearl S. Buck

August

Freedom of Simplicity
by Richard Foster


Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen

July

Celebration of Discipline
by Richard J. Foster

Peace Like A River
Peace Like A River
by Leif Enger

Things Fall Apart
Things Fall Apart
by Chinua Achebe

Gap Creek
Gap Creek
by Robert Morgan

June
Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel

My Name is Asher Lev
My Name is Asher Lev
by Chaim Potok

A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Prayer for Owen Meany
by John Irving

All New People
All New People
by Anne Lamott

May
Patrimony
Patrimony: A True Story
by Philip Roth

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters
by J. D. Salinger

Good Faith
Good Faith
by Jane Smiley

Cradle and Crucible
Cradle and Crucible History and Faith in the Middle East
by National Geographic Society

April
Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

Blue Shoe
Blue Shoe
by Anne LaMott

Emma
Emma
by Jane Austen

Operation Shylock
Operation Shylock
by Philip Roth

March
Jane Austen: A Life
Jane Austen: A Life
by Claire Tomalin

To See and See Again
To See and See Again
by Tara Bahrampour

Reading L0l1ta in Tehran
Reading L0l1ta in Tehran
by Azar Nafisi

February
A Thomas Jefferson Education
A Thomas Jefferson Education
by Oliver Van Demille

Still Alive
Still Alive
by Ruth Kluger

The Screwtape Letters
Not The Germans Alone
by Isaac Levendel

Still Alive
World War II: A Photographic History
by David Boyle

The Screwtape Letters
The Screwtape Letters
by C.S. Lewis

Persuasion
Persuasion
by Jane Austen

January
Climbing Parnassus
Climbing Parnassus
by Tracey Lee Simmons

With the Old Breed
With The Old Breed
by E. B. Sledge

All But My Life
All But My Life
by Gerda Weissmann Klein

We Die Alone
We Die Alone
by David Howarth